This is Thursday. It’s not Monday, is it?
We rekeyed some Yale lever intruder series classroom locks today. We had to master key them. This system utilizes a great grand master, master, sub master, and individual keys. I started this system back in 2004. Before I had purchased an electronic computer code machine. The machine I designed this system and cut the keys on is made by the same company but doesn’t compensate for human error or just the fact of human tolerances. Another words the machine I used is old. The depth and spacing of the different keys are dialed in using a needle. Like a lathe but not as precise. I guess when they made the machine they thought to them selves that it’s only keys that are being made. But system keys need to be almost perfect when you are master keying 4 different keys to fit the lock. Well this machine that was used did not make the keys all the same exactly. The share cuts on each of the keys. This allows locks to be mastered and have sub master keys along with a grand master key to fit all the locks. Were talking about 500 or more different locks on different floors through out a building. A number 2 cut on key A needs to be exactly the same number 2 cut on key B. Exactly, with no difference. We measure the cuts down to the thousandth of an inch. The pins that are used are measured to a thousand of an inch also. So if they are not exactly the same the keys will not work or they will not work smoothly.
To solve this issue. The code key machine company has developed a code machine that is computer run. It utilizes technology that runs the jaws, angles, depths, and spaces. We just have to enter the different numbers into the computer. We have different key clamping and cutter wheels to use. Using the proper cutters, clamps, and jaws will ensure that the keys are being cut properly. Using this machine ensures that every key cut on the master system will be cut so that a number 2 on one key is exactly the same on another key that is also sharing a number 2.
And that’s the easy part.
At the end of the day we were cleaning up and we had spare keys that needed to be hung up on the back of the work bench on the keyboard. I also had in my hand the four keys on a ring that we were master keying the locks to. You can visualize what happened. I remembered to put the keys away but I couldn’t find the four keys that we were using to key the locks up to. As each minute went by that we were looking for the four keys I was getting more and more frustrated. Had them in our hands most of the day. Frustrated at the quality of the keys being made 12 years ago on a machine that was old. Then frustrated because I can’t find the keys. We looked in all the boxes of locks that we master keyed. We looked in our pockets. We looked in our jackets. We looked at each other. Then we settled down a little and retraced our steps. Mine to be exact. I guess I’m getting old. Let me rephrase that. I am old. We found the keys hanging on the hook where I thought I was helping and cleaning up. I felt bad because it is such a waste of time but they had to be found.
I think it’s Monday.